- 1 Vi treng ikkje ein nynorsk wiktionary
- 2 Status 2009
- 3 Wikimania Scholarships
- 4 Fundraising 2010: Beat Jimmy Challenge
- 5 2011 og framover
- 6 Call for image filter referendum
- 8 Open Call for 2012 Wikimedia Fellowship Applicants
- 9 Announcing Wikipedia 1.19 beta
- 10 MediaWiki 1.19
- 11 Survey invitation
- 12 Update on IPv6
- 13 2011 Picture of the Year competition
- 14 Mobile view as default view coming soon
- 15 Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year
- 16 Request for Comment: Legal Fees Assistance Program
- 17 Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out
- 18 Upcoming software changes - please report any problems
- 19 Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed
- 20 Localise your wiki logo
- 21 Be a Wikimedia fundraising "User Experience" volunteer!
- 22 Wikimedia sites to move to primary data center in Ashburn, Virginia. Read-only mode expected.
- 23 Picture of the Year voting round 1 open
- 24 Help turn ideas into grants in the new IdeaLab
- 25 Convert complex templates to Lua to make them faster and more powerful
- 26 Proposal of a pronunciation recording tool
- 27 Request for comment on inactive administrators
- 28 [en] Change to wiki account system and account renaming
- 29 [en] Change to section edit links
- 30 Tech newsletter: Subscribe to receive the next editions
- 31 Trademark discussion
- 32 X!'s Edit Counter
- 33 Universal Language Selector will be enabled on 2013-07-09
- 34 Pywikipedia is migrating to git
- 35 HTTPS for users with an account
- 36 Request for consultation on community logo
- 37 Notifications
- 38 Speak up about the trademark registration of the Community logo.
- 39 Introducting Beta Features
- 40 Call for comments on draft trademark policy
- 41 Request for comment on Commons: Should Wikimedia support MP4 video?
- 42 Universal Language Selector will be enabled by default again on this wiki by 21 February 2014
- 44 Call for project ideas: funding is available for community experiments
- 46 Changes to the default site typography coming soon
- 47 Pronunciation Recording
Vi treng ikkje ein nynorsk wiktionary[endre]
Ein eigen wiktionary på nynorsk er ein særs dårleg ide.
1) Nordmenn trenger å verte eksponerte for sitt eige språk og det gjer en betre ved å skriva mest mogleg nynorsk på no.wiktionary.org.
2) Norsk er eitt språk med fleire, til dels mange, skrivemåtar, nokre på nynorsk og nokre på bokmål. Dokumentasjonen av desse bør stå saman. Det er både meir lærerikt og meir informativt. Ei ordbok som ikkje inneheld heile språket er ei dårleg ordbok.
188.8.131.52 6. mai 2005 kl. 0911 (UTC)
- Du som har skrive dette anonymt, tek diverre feil: Det går nok sjeldan bra å blanda målformer. (M.a. difor er Bokmålsordboka og Nynorskordboka to separate verk.) Men det går fint an å laga peikarar att og fram mellom ulike wikiordbøker!
- Du er velkomen til å diskutera dette, men registrer deg helst først.
- --Verdlanco 6. mai 2005 kl. 0928 (UTC)
Trudde registreringa i no. skulle overleva i nn. Der tok eg i miss. Eg har skrive nynorsk i no.wiktionary i ei tid. No fryktar at det same skal skje i wiktionary som i wikipedia: Nynorsken isolerer seg og det er eit tap for heile språket.
Men fyrst og framst treng vi ein diskusjon om kva vi skal med ein norsk wiktionary. Det eksisterer alt gode ordbøker på nett: dokpro og riksmålsordlista. Det wiktionary kan bli, som rettferdiggjer strevet, er ei sams ordliste som setter dei ulike formane opp jamsides og jamvel tek med dialektformer og ymse slags bruk, i tale og skrift, i Aftenposten og i Sivles dikt.
- Hei, Bersvend!
- No ser det ut til at denne wikiordboka kanskje vil bli nedlagt, dersom eit underprosjekt i Nynorsk wikipedia vert vellukka. Då kan "puristane" halda seg på Wikipedia, og brukarar av no.wiktionary kan forsøka å halda den blanda.
- --Verdlanco 6. mai 2005 kl. 1341 (UTC)
- Det er no 2007, og nn.wiktionary ser ut til å vera like daud som ein dronte. Eg føreslår at nn.wiktionary vert frosen som han er, at alle artiklar vert fletta inn i no.wiktionary og at nn.wiktionary fjernast om eit års tid. Bersvend
Kva skjer med nn wiktionary no? Eg vil gjerne sjaa at den veks seg stoerre enn 100 artiklar.. Er det bidragsytarar att her no naar vi skriv 2009 ? Nynorsk vil etter mi meining drukne vekk i ei samansmelta ordbok med bokmaal.
- Det er framleis særs lite arbeid som vert gjort på nynorsk Wiktionary «nn:wikt», sjølv om det ser ut som han no har våkna litt til live med det arbeidet du gjer her. nn:wikt kjem til å fortsette å eksistere; det er ikkje nokon konsensus om at han skal verte sletta, sjølv om dette har blitt diskutert på Samfunnshuset på nn:wikt nyleg. Per i dag er status at nn:wikt, er skreven på nynorsk, medan norsk Wiktionary «no:wikt» godtek begge målformer. Ettersom no:wikt godtek oppføringar på båe målformer, ser ikkje me som er aktive der poenget med å oppretthalde ein eigen, separat nynorsk Wiktionary. Me tykkjer òg at nynorsk vil verte meir synleg i ei fellesnorsk ordbok som no:wikt er, ettersom eit oppslag på eit bokmålsord også viser dei nynorske utgavene av ordet, slik som f.eks. på sida no:knuslete. (Kanskje ikkje det beste eksempelet, men det var det første som kom opp ved hjelp av «tilfeldig side».)
- Viss du ønskjer å fortsette å vere aktiv på nn:wikt, har du sjølvsagt lov til det, og eg ønskjer deg lykke til med det arbeidet du gjer her. Men, du skal vite at du er velkommen til oss på no:wikt, og at du der vil ha same anledning til å bidra, på nynorsk, som du har her. V85 12. april 2009 kl. 18:52 (CEST)
- Ville berre leggja til at nn wikt vel aldri har hatt bidragsytarar anna ein heilt i starten. Eg heller òg mot at no wikt kan henda er det beste alternativet. Ingenting kjemer til å henda med nn wikt slik som stoda er no; korkje av det gode eller vonde slaget. --Harald Khan Ճ 18. april 2009 kl. 14:20 (CEST)
The call for applications for Wikimania Scholarships to attend Wikimania 2010 in Gdansk, Poland (July 9-11) is now open. The Wikimedia Foundation offers Scholarships to pay for selected individuals' round trip travel, accommodations, and registration at the conference. To apply, visit the Wikimania 2010 scholarships information page, click the secure link available there, and fill out the form to apply. For additional information, please visit the Scholarships information and FAQ pages:
Yours very truly, Cary Bass
Fundraising 2010: Beat Jimmy Challenge[endre]
The Fundraising Committee is issuing all interested community members a challenge: we want you to beat Jimmy. The appeal from Jimmy Wales and the corresponding banner have been tested head-to-head with other successful banners, and the results are clear: it's our best performing message... by a lot. This year we have a lofty fundraising goal; we need all of our banners to bring in donations like the Jimmy Appeal, but no one wants to keep the Jimmy banner up for two months. We want to run donor quotes, and other wonderful ideas, but we have to have banners that work as well as or better than the Jimmy appeal.
We've just released the highlights from a donor focus group, and the results of our donor survey. With one month to the launch of the fundraiser, the messages we test must be driven by data from our tests and surveys - we can no longer rely on instinct alone.
We've redesigned our fundraising meta pages with the Jimmy challenge; check out the survey results and propose/discuss banners that reflect these findings. Add the banners you think will 'beat Jimmy' here to be tested Tuesday October 12 against Jimmy. -Dgultekin 7. oktober 2010 kl. 02:19 (CEST)
2011 og framover[endre]
Trass i dystre spådomar negativ omtale over, er det lite truleg at Nynorsk Wiktionary nokon gong vil verta lagd på is. Det siste året er det vorte gjort ei rad betringar på vevsida (mange nye malar, hjelpesider osb.), so infrastrukturen her på nn-wikt byrjar å likna på noko. Sidetalet er nett no dessutan oppe på over 2000, til skilnad frå kring 100 då innleggi over vart lagde inn. --Harald Khan Ճ 29. desember 2010 kl. 22:06 (CET)
Call for image filter referendum[endre]
The Wikimedia Foundation, at the direction of the Board of Trustees, will be holding a vote to determine whether members of the community support the creation and usage of an opt-in personal image filter, which would allow readers to voluntarily screen particular types of images strictly for their own account.
Further details and educational materials will be available shortly. The referendum is scheduled for 12-27 August, 2011, and will be conducted on servers hosted by a neutral third party. Referendum details, officials, voting requirements, and supporting materials will be posted at Meta:Image filter referendum shortly.
Sorry for delivering you a message in English. Please help translate the pages on the referendum on Meta and join the translators mailing list.
I apologize that you are receiving this message in English. Please help translate it.
Open Call for 2012 Wikimedia Fellowship Applicants[endre]
I apologize that you are receiving this message in English. Please help translate it.
- Do you want to help attract new contributors to Wikimedia projects?
- Do you want to improve retention of our existing editors?
- Do you want to strengthen our community by diversifying its base and increasing the overall number of excellent participants around the world?
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking Community Fellows and project ideas for the Community Fellowship Program. A Fellowship is a temporary position at the Wikimedia Foundation in order to work on a specific project or set of projects. Submissions for 2012 are encouraged to focus on the theme of improving editor retention and increasing participation in Wikimedia projects. If interested, please submit a project idea or apply to be a fellow by January 15, 2012. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Fellowships for more information.
--Siko Bouterse, Head of Community Fellowships, Wikimedia Foundation 22. desember 2011 kl. 03:58 (CET)
Announcing Wikipedia 1.19 beta[endre]
Wikimedia Foundation is getting ready to push out 1.19 to all the WMF-hosted wikis. As we finish wrapping up our code review, you can test the new version right now on beta.wmflabs.org. For more information, please read the release notes or the start of the final announcement.
The following are the areas that you will probably be most interested in:
- New common*.css files usable by skins instead of having to copy piles of generic styles from MonoBook or Vector's css.
- The default user signature now contains a talk link in addition to the user link.
- Searching blocked usernames in block log is now clearer.
- Better timezone recognition in user preferences.
- Improved diff readability for colorblind people.
- The interwiki links table can now be accessed also when the interwiki cache is used (used in the API and the Interwiki extension).
- More gender support (for instance in logs and user lists).
- Language converter improved, e.g. it now works depending on the page content language.
- Time and number-formatting magic words also now depend on the page content language.
- Bidirectional support further improved after 1.18.
Report any problems on the labs beta wiki and we'll work to address them before they software is released to the production wikis.
Note that this cluster does have SUL but it is not integrated with SUL in production, so you'll need to create another account. You should avoid using the same password as you use here. — Global message delivery 15. januar 2012 kl. 17:26 (CET)
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to upgrade MediaWiki (the software powering this wiki) to its latest version this month. You can help to test it before it is enabled, to avoid disruption and breakage. More information is available in the full announcement. Thank you for your understanding.
First, I apologize that part of this message is in English. If you can assist by translating it for your local community, I would greatly appreciate it.
The Wikimedia Foundation would like to invite you to take part in a brief survey.
Med denne rundspørjingen håper Wikimedia-stiftingen å kunne finne ut av, kva for ressursar wikimedianerne ønskjer og behøver (noko kan krevje finansielle middel) og korleis dei skal prioriteres. Ikkje alle programmar frå stiftingen er med her (kjerneoppgåvene er særleg unnateke) – det behandles berre ressursar som individuelle bidragsytare eller organisasjonar som er tilknytt Wikimedia, som lokalavdelinger, kan søkje om.
Målet er her å identifisere, kva DU (eller gruppar som lokalavdelinger eller klubbar) kunne vera interessert i og å oppstille mulegheitene etter forkjærleik. Vi har på denne lista ikkje inkludert ting som "halda serverne køyrande", fordi dei ikkje er ansvaret til individuelle bidragsytare eller frivillige organisasjonar. Denne rundspørjingen har til siktemål å fortelja oss, kva for nokre prioriteringar av midla bidragsytarne stemmer overeins med eller ikkje.
To read more about the survey, and to take part, please visit the survey page.
This invitation is being sent only to those projects where the survey has been translated in full or in majority into your language. It is, however, open to any contributor from any project. Please feel free to share the link with other Wikimedians and to invite their participation.
If you have any questions for me, please address them to my talk page, since I won’t be able to keep an eye at every point where I place the notice.
Update on IPv6[endre]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the full version of this announcement on Meta)
The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to do limited testing of IPv6 on June 2-3. If there are not too many problems, we may fully enable IPv6 on World IPv6 day (June 6), and keep it enabled.
What this means for your project:
- At least on June 2-3, 2012, you may see a small number of edits from IPv6 addresses, which are in the form "
2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334". See e.g. w:en:IPv6 address. These addresses should behave like any other IP address: You can leave messages on their talk pages; you can track their contributions; you can block them. (See the full version of this announcement for notes on range blocks.)
- In the mid term, some user scripts and tools will need to be adapted for IPv6.
- We suspect that IPv6 usage is going to be very low initially, meaning that abuse should be manageable, and we will assist in the monitoring of the situation.
Read the full version of this announcement on how to test the behavior of IPv6 with various tools and how to leave bug reports, and to find a fuller analysis of the implications of the IPv6 migration.
--Erik Möller, VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation 2. juni 2012 kl. 03:15 (CEST)
2011 Picture of the Year competition[endre]
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2011 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We are interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year 2011. Any user registered at Commons or a Wikimedia wiki SUL-related to Commons with more than 75 edits before 1 April 2012 (UTC) is welcome to vote and, of course everyone is welcome to view!
Detailed information about the contest can be found at the introductory page.
About 600 of the best of Wikimedia Common's photos, animations, movies and graphics were chosen –by the international Wikimedia Commons community– out of 12 million files during 2011 and are now called Featured Pictures.
From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons Features Pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories.
We regret that you receive this message in English; we intended to use banners to notify you in your native language but there was both, human and technical resistance.
See you on Commons! --Picture of the Year 2011 Committee 5. juni 2012 kl. 20:32 (CEST)
Mobile view as default view coming soon[endre]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the instructions on Meta)
The mobile view of this project and others will soon become the default view on mobile devices (except tablets). Some language versions of these projects currently show no content on the mobile home page, and it is a good time to do a little formatting so users get a mobile-friendly view, or to add to existing mobile content if some already exists.
If you are an administrator, please consider helping with this change. There are instructions which are being translated. The proposed date of switching the default view is June 21.
--Phil Inje Chang, Product Manager, Mobile, Wikimedia Foundation 16. juni 2012 kl. 10:33 (CEST)
Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year[endre]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)
As many of you are aware, the Wikimedia Board of Trustees recently initiated important changes in the way that money is being distributed within the Wikimedia movement. As part of this, a new community-led "Funds Dissemination Committee" (FDC) is currently being set up. Already in 2012-13, its recommendations will guide the decisions about the distribution of over 10 million US dollars among the Foundation, chapters and other eligible entities.
Now, seven capable, knowledgeable and trustworthy community members are sought to volunteer on the initial Funds Dissemination Committee. It is expected to take up its work in September. In addition, a community member is sought to be the Ombudsperson for the FDC process. If you are interested in joining the committee, read the call for volunteers. Nominations are planned to close on August 15.
--Anasuya Sengupta, Director of Global Learning and Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation 19. juli 2012 kl. 22:18 (CEST)
Request for Comment: Legal Fees Assistance Program[endre]
I apologize for addressing you in English. I would be grateful if you could translate this message into your language.
The Wikimedia Foundation is conducting a request for comment on a proposed program that could provide legal assistance to users in specific support roles who are named in a legal complaint as a defendant because of those roles. We wanted to be sure that your community was aware of this discussion and would have a chance to participate in that discussion.
If this page is not the best place to publicize this request for comment, please help spread the word to those who may be interested in participating. (If you'd like to help translating the "request for comment", program policy or other pages into your language and don't know how the translation system works, please come by my user talk page at m:User talk:Mdennis (WMF). I'll be happy to assist or to connect you with a volunteer who can assist.)
Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF)6. september 2012 kl. 04:07 (CEST)
Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out[endre]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.)
As some of you might already have heard Wikimedia Deutschland is working on a new Wikimedia project. It is called m:Wikidata. The goal of Wikidata is to become a central data repository for the Wikipedias, its sister projects and the world. In the future it will hold data like the number of inhabitants of a country, the date of birth of a famous person or the length of a river. These can then be used in all Wikimedia projects and outside of them.
The project is divided into three phases and "we are getting close to roll-out the first phase". The phases are:
- language links in the Wikipedias (making it possible to store the links between the language editions of an article just once in Wikidata instead of in each linked article)
- infoboxes (making it possible to store the data that is currently in infoboxes in one central place and share the data)
- lists (making it possible to create lists and similar things based on queries to Wikidata so they update automatically when new data is added or modified)
It'd be great if you could join us, test the demo version, provide feedback and take part in the development of Wikidata. You can find all the relevant information including an FAQ and sign-up links for our on-wiki newsletter on the Wikidata page on Meta.
For further discussions please use this talk page (if you are uncomfortable writing in English you can also write in your native language there) or point me to the place where your discussion is happening so I can answer there.
--Lydia Pintscher 10. september 2012 kl. 15:32 (CEST)
Upcoming software changes - please report any problems[endre]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)
Please watch for problems with:
- revision diffs
- PDF export
- images, video, and sound, especially scaling sizes
- the CologneBlue skin
Thanks! With your help we can find problems fast and get them fixed faster.
Sumana Harihareswara, Wikimedia Foundation Engineering Community Manager (talk) 16. oktober 2012 kl. 05:07 (CEST)
P.S.: For the regular, smaller MediaWiki updates every two weeks, please watch this schedule.
Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed[endre]
Please translate for your local community
The Wikimedia Foundation's Fundraising team have begun our 'User Experience' project, with the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries outside the USA and enhancing the localization of our donation pages. I am searching for volunteers to spend 30 minutes on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.
The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real-time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)
By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. Please sing up and help us with our 'User Experience' project! :) If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email email@example.com. All countries needed (excepting USA)!
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
Sent using Global message delivery, 17. oktober 2012 kl. 19:13 (CEST)
Localise your wiki logo[endre]
Hello! It was noted that Wiktionary in this language has not yet adopted a localised/translated logo: it's really a pity for a dictionary project!
We are trying to help Wiktionaries adopt a locally-adapted logo, by taking the technical difficulties on us. What we need from you is just the preferred translation of the name and motto, "Wiktionary" (if translated) and "The free dictionary": you can add them to the logo list, by editing it directly or commenting on the talk page; you can also add a note if you don't want the localised logo.
Of course, you can also create the logo and make the necessary requests on bugzilla yourself, if you prefer so.
Feel free to translate this message and to move/copy/forward it where appropriate; you can also reply on my talk. Thanks, Nemo 3. november 2012 kl. 16:59 (CET)
Be a Wikimedia fundraising "User Experience" volunteer![endre]
Thank you to everyone who volunteered last year on the Wikimedia fundraising 'User Experience' project. We have talked to many different people in different countries and their feedback has helped us immensely in restructuring our pages. If you haven't heard of it yet, the 'User Experience' project has the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries (outside the USA) and enhancing the localization of our donation pages.
I am (still) searching for volunteers to spend some time on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.
The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. **All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be very low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)**
By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!!
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
- Sent using Global message delivery, 8. januar 2013 kl. 22:10 (CET)
Wikimedia sites to move to primary data center in Ashburn, Virginia. Read-only mode expected.[endre]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) Next week, the Wikimedia Foundation will transition its main technical operations to a new data center in Ashburn, Virginia, USA. This is intended to improve the technical performance and reliability of all Wikimedia sites, including this wiki. There will be some times when the site will be in read-only mode, and there may be full outages; the current target windows for the migration are January 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2013, from 17:00 to 01:00 UTC (see other timezones on timeanddate.com). More information is available in the full announcement.
If you would like to stay informed of future technical upgrades, consider becoming a Tech ambassador and joining the ambassadors mailing list. You will be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.
Thank you for your help and your understanding.
Picture of the Year voting round 1 open[endre]
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:
- Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
- This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons.
Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
This message was delivered based on m:Distribution list/Global message delivery. Translation fetched from: commons:Commons:Picture of the Year/2012/Translations/Village Pump/en -- Rillke (diskusjon) 23. januar 2013 kl. 00:56 (CET)
Help turn ideas into grants in the new IdeaLab[endre]
I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.
- Do you have an idea for a project to improve this community or website?
- Do you think you could complete your idea if only you had some funding?
- Do you want to help other people turn their ideas into project plans or grant proposals?
Please join us in the IdeaLab, an incubator for project ideas and Individual Engagement Grant proposals.
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking new ideas and proposals for Individual Engagement Grants. These grants fund individuals or small groups to complete projects that help improve this community. If interested, please submit a completed proposal by February 15, 2013. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG for more information.
Thanks! --Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 30. januar 2013 kl. 21:43 (CET)
Convert complex templates to Lua to make them faster and more powerful[endre]
(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians)
Greetings. As you might have seen on the Wikimedia tech blog or the tech ambassadors list, a new functionality called "Lua" is being enabled on all Wikimedia sites today. Lua is a scripting language that enables you to write faster and more powerful MediaWiki templates.
If you have questions about how to convert existing templates to Lua (or how to create new ones), we'll be holding two support sessions on IRC next week: one on Wednesday (for Oceania, Asia & America) and one on Friday (for Europe, Africa & America); see m:IRC office hours for the details. If you can't make it, you can also get help at mw:Talk:Lua scripting.
If you'd like to learn about this kind of events earlier in advance, consider becoming a Tech ambassador by subscribing to the mailing list. You will also be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.
Proposal of a pronunciation recording tool[endre]
Hello, Rahul21, a developer, offers to develop a pronunciation recording tool for Wiktionary, helped by Michael Dale as part of GSoC. The tool would allow to record and add audio pronunciations to Wiktionary entries while browsing them (see background discussion on Wiktionary-l). Please read and comment the proposal! Regards, Nemo 10. april 2013 kl. 00:42 (CEST)
- Request for comment on inactive administrators
(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians. Please also consider translating the proposal.)
Read this message in English / Lleer esti mensaxe n'asturianu / বাংলায় এই বার্তাটি পড়ুন / Llegiu aquest missatge en català / Læs denne besked på dansk / Lies diese Nachricht auf Deutsch / Leś cal mesag' chè in Emiliàn / Leer este mensaje en español / Lue tämä viesti suomeksi / Lire ce message en français / Ler esta mensaxe en galego / हिन्दी / Pročitajte ovu poruku na hrvatskom / Baca pesan ini dalam Bahasa Indonesia / Leggi questo messaggio in italiano / ಈ ಸಂದೇಶವನ್ನು ಕನ್ನಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಓದಿ / Aqra dan il-messaġġ bil-Malti / norsk (bokmål) / Lees dit bericht in het Nederlands / Przeczytaj tę wiadomość po polsku / Citiți acest mesaj în română / Прочитать это сообщение на русском / Farriintaan ku aqri Af-Soomaali / Pročitaj ovu poruku na srpskom (Прочитај ову поруку на српском) / อ่านข้อความนี้ในภาษาไทย / Прочитати це повідомлення українською мовою / Đọc thông báo bằng tiếng Việt / 使用中文阅读本信息。
Der er innkommet et nytt ønske om kommentarer på Meta-Wiki vedrørende fjerning av rettigheter for langtidspassive Wikimedianere. Forslaget fra stewardene dreier seg generelt mest om wikier uten prosesser med periodisk administrator-gjennomgang.
Vi kompilerer også en liste over prosjekter med prosedyrer for fjerning av passive administratorer på diskusjonssiden til siden med kommentarønsker. Legg gjerne til ditt/dine prosjekter på listen dersom der er en policy for fjerning av inaktive administratorer.
Alle innspill vil bli satt pris på. En sikter mot avsluttet diskusjon 23. mai 2013, men denne tiden kan forlenges dersom det trengs.
- Distribuert via Global message delivery (Er dette havnet på feil side? Det kan du i så fall fikse her.)
[en] Change to wiki account system and account renaming[endre]
Some accounts will soon be renamed due to a technical change that the developer team at Wikimedia are making. More details on Meta.
The default position of the "edit" link in page section headers is going to change soon. The "edit" link will be positioned adjacent to the page header text rather than floating opposite it.
Section edit links will be to the immediate right of section titles, instead of on the far right. If you're an editor of one of the wikis which already implemented this change, nothing will substantially change for you; however, scripts and gadgets depending on the previous implementation of section edit links will have to be adjusted to continue working; however, nothing else should break even if they are not updated in time.
Detailed information and a timeline is available on meta.
Ideas to do this all the way to 2009 at least. It is often difficult to track which of several potential section edit links on the far right is associated with the correct section, and many readers and anonymous or new editors may even be failing to notice section edit links at all, since they read section titles, which are far away from the links.
Hi, apologies for posting this in English, but I wanted to alert your community to a discussion on Meta about potential changes to the Wikimedia Trademark Policy. Please translate this statement if you can. We hope that you will all participate in the discussion; we also welcome translations of the legal team’s statement into as many languages as possible and encourage you to voice your thoughts there. Please see the Trademark practices discussion (on Meta-Wiki) for more information. Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF) (talk)
Universal Language Selector will be enabled on 2013-07-09[endre]
Pywikipedia is migrating to git[endre]
Hello, Sorry for English but It's very important for bot operators so I hope someone translates this. Pywikipedia is migrating to Git so after July 26, SVN checkouts won't be updated If you're using Pywikipedia you have to switch to git, otherwise you will use out-dated framework and your bot might not work properly. There is a manual for doing that and a blog post explaining about this change in non-technical language. If you have question feel free to ask in mw:Manual talk:Pywikipediabot/Gerrit, mailing list, or in the IRC channel. Best Amir (via Global message delivery). 23. juli 2013 kl. 15:36 (CEST)
HTTPS for users with an account[endre]
Greetings. Starting on August 21 (tomorrow), all users with an account will be using HTTPS to access Wikimedia sites. HTTPS brings better security and improves your privacy. More information is available at m:HTTPS.
If HTTPS causes problems for you, tell us on bugzilla, on IRC (in the
#wikimedia-operations channel) or on meta. If you can't use the other methods, you can also send an e-mail to
(This message is in English, please translate as needed)
Notifications will inform users about new activity that affects them on this wiki in a unified way: for example, this new tool will let you know when you have new talk page messages, edit reverts, mentions or links -- and is designed to augment (rather than replace) the watchlist. The Wikimedia Foundation's editor engagement team developed this tool (code-named 'Echo') earlier this year, to help users contribute more productively to MediaWiki projects.
We're now getting ready to bring Notifications to almost all other Wikimedia sites, and are aiming for a 22 October deployment, as outlined in this release plan. It is important that notifications is translated for all of the languages we serve.
There are three major points of translation needed to be either done or checked:
- Echo on translatewiki for user interface - you must have an account on translatewiki to translate
- Thanks on translatewiki for user interface - you must have an account on translatewiki to translate
- Notifications help on mediawiki.org. This page can be hosted after translation on mediawiki.org or we can localize it to this Wikipedia. You do not have to have an account to translate on mediawiki, but single-user login will create it for you there if you follow the link.
Please let us know if you have any questions, suggestions or comments about this new tool. For more information, visit this project hub and this help page. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 4. oktober 2013 kl. 21:02 (CEST)
Speak up about the trademark registration of the Community logo.[endre]
Introducting Beta Features[endre]
(Apologies for writing in English. Please translate if necessary)
We would like to let you know about Beta Features, a new program from the Wikimedia Foundation that lets you try out new features before they are released for everyone.
Think of it as a digital laboratory where community members can preview upcoming software and give feedback to help improve them. This special preference page lets designers and engineers experiment with new features on a broad scale, but in a way that's not disruptive.
Beta Features is now ready for testing on MediaWiki.org. It will also be released on Wikimedia Commons and MetaWiki this Thursday, 7 November. Based on test results, the plan is to release it on all wikis worldwide on 21 November, 2013.
Here are the first features you can test this week:
- Media Viewer — view images in large size or full screen
- VisualEditor Formulæ (for wikis with VisualEditor) — edit algebra or equations on your pages
- Typography Refresh — make text more readable (coming Thursday)
Would you like to try out Beta Features now? After you log in on MediaWiki.org, a small 'Beta' link will appear next to your 'Preferences'. Click on it to see features you can test, check the ones you want, then click 'Save'. Learn more on the Beta Features page.
After you've tested Beta Features, please let the developers know what you think on this discussion page -- or report any bugs here on Bugzilla. You're also welcome to join this IRC office hours chat on Friday, 8 November at 18:30 UTC.
Beta Features was developed by the Wikimedia Foundation's Design, Multimedia and VisualEditor teams. Along with other developers, they will be adding new features to this experimental program every few weeks. They are very grateful to all the community members who helped create this project — and look forward to many more productive collaborations in the future.
Call for comments on draft trademark policy[endre]
Request for comment on Commons: Should Wikimedia support MP4 video?[endre]
I apologize for this message being only in English. Please translate it if needed to help your community.
The Wikimedia Foundation's multimedia team seeks community guidance on a proposal to support the MP4 video format. This digital video standard is used widely around the world to record, edit and watch videos on mobile phones, desktop computers and home video devices. It is also known as H.264/MPEG-4 or AVC.
Supporting the MP4 format would make it much easier for our users to view and contribute video on Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects -- and video files could be offered in dual formats on our sites, so we could continue to support current open formats (WebM and Ogg Theora).
However, MP4 is a patent-encumbered format, and using a proprietary format would be a departure from our current practice of only supporting open formats on our sites -- even though the licenses appear to have acceptable legal terms, with only a small fee required.
We would appreciate your guidance on whether or not to support MP4. Our Request for Comments presents views both in favor and against MP4 support, based on opinions we’ve heard in our discussions with community and team members.
All users are welcome to participate, whether you are active on Commons, Wikipedia, other Wikimedia project -- or any site that uses content from our free media repository.
You are also welcome to join tomorrow's Office hours chat on IRC, this Thursday, January 16, at 19:00 UTC, if you would like to discuss this project with our team and other community members.
Universal Language Selector will be enabled by default again on this wiki by 21 February 2014[endre]
On January 21 2014 the MediaWiki extension Universal Language Selector (ULS) was disabled on this wiki. A new preference was added for logged-in users to turn on ULS. This was done to prevent slow loading of pages due to ULS webfonts, a behaviour that had been observed by the Wikimedia Technical Operations team on some wikis.
We are now ready to enable ULS again. The temporary preference to enable ULS will be removed. A new checkbox has been added to the Language Panel to enable/disable font delivery. This will be unchecked by default for this wiki, but can be selected at any time by the users to enable webfonts. This is an interim solution while we improve the feature of webfonts delivery.
Call for project ideas: funding is available for community experiments[endre]
I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.
Do you have an idea for a project that could improve your community? Individual Engagement Grants from the Wikimedia Foundation help support individuals and small teams to organize experiments for 6 months. You can get funding to try out your idea for online community organizing, outreach, tool-building, or research to help make Wiktionary better. In March, we’re looking for new project proposals.
Examples of past Individual Engagement Grant projects:
- Organizing social media for Chinese Wikipedia ($350 for materials)
- Improving gadgets for Visual Editor ($4500 for developers)
- Coordinating access to reliable sources for Wikipedians ($7500 for project management, consultants and materials)
- Building community and strategy for Wikisource (€10000 for organizing and travel)
Hope to have your participation,
--Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 28. februar 2014 kl. 20:44 (CET)
Changes to the default site typography coming soon[endre]
This week, the typography on Wikimedia sites will be updated for all readers and editors who use the default "Vector" skin. This change will involve new serif fonts for some headings, small tweaks to body content fonts, text size, text color, and spacing between elements. The schedule is:
- April 1st: non-Wikipedia projects will see this change live
- April 3rd: Wikipedias will see this change live
This change is very similar to the "Typography Update" Beta Feature that has been available on Wikimedia projects since November 2013. After several rounds of testing and with feedback from the community, this Beta Feature will be disabled and successful aspects enabled in the default site appearance. Users who are logged in may still choose to use another skin, or alter their personal CSS, if they prefer a different appearance. Local common CSS styles will also apply as normal, for issues with local styles and scripts that impact all users.
For more information:
Dear Wiktionary community!
- About me
- My name is Rainer Rillke, and I have been volunteering at Wikimedia Commons for 3 years now, gathering experience around media files. I've been always interested in how things work and how one could improve them.
- The idea
- One idea that appeared last Summer was allowing the recording of small chunks of speech, uploading that to Wikimedia Commons in the background and including this into a Wiktionary entry without having the hassle doing everything by hand or installing additional software. That idea led to the foundation of MediaWiki extension PronunciationRecording during the Google Summer of Code. However, this was not completed; instead development is stale for over 5 months now.
- My proposal
- To make this going to work, so Wiktionary has an immediate benefit of this feature, I would like to provide the work done so far as a gadget and add some more work in regard to usability. You can see my plan at m:Grants:IEG/Finish Pronunciation Recording. And more importantly, you can give me a hand, if you are interested by writing your comments.